After doing CrossFit the last 6 months, I have learned SO MUCH and felt so much change in my body! I have seen so many injuries and limitations in others and tried to help where I can- and would love to share some of that information here.
In many CrossFitters, I see limited shoulder flexibility which compromises the low back, ankle instability, lack of deep squat stability, and mid-thoracic rotation.
What that means- is I have a few stretches for each that you can work on as a CrossFitter in your own time to help your workouts be more effective and your lifts easier and deeper!
Bottom squat with rotation– sit here for 2 minutes!! (Youtube demonstration link here)
- This will help you train deep squat mobility
- It will combine hip and mid-thoracic mobility
- It will help you train for overhead lifting flexibility
- Add weight to this stretch to work on strength and stability in this position
Hip banded loaded rotations– in seated and kneeling positions (Youtube demonstration link here)
- This position makes you combine hip mobility with hip strength
- Learning to load these positions so rotation does not cause pain is essential
- Hips are usually the biggest determinant of low back pain from lifting
Kettlebell presses and windmills– more strength, but necessary! (Youtube demonstration link here)
- Creating shoulder stability without low back help is huge- and built with these exercises
- If you are going to press and move heavier weight- make sure your shoulder can handle it!
- Adding these upside down exercises will challenge your joints in ways the regular CrossFit lifts do not!